¸Åü À¥»çÀÌÆ® 
À̽´ µ¿ÇØ 
¾ð¾î ¿µ¾î
¼­ÇѺ¸³»´Â°÷ info-en-v@wikimedia.org
¿À·ù³»¿ë µ¶µµÀÇ À§Ä¡¸¦ ÀϺ»Çضó°í Ç¥±âÇÔ
E-mail / Contact lucyjung1032@gmail.com
¼­·Ð

Dear editors of Wikipedia,

I recently visited your website below and was disappointed by its contents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liancourt_Rocks

(Title of the article: Liancourt Rocks)

It had a serious error: it explained Dokdo's location as the "Sea of Japan."

However, this expression is highly biased toward Japan and its imperialism of the past.

I was shocked by this because I was sure that Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia that is loved by so many people, would have accurate information.

I request you change the term "Sea of Japan" to "Sea of Korea". If this is difficult, please write the term "Sea of Korea" in parallel with the original term.

º»·Ð

Until the nineteenth century, the term "Sea of Korea" had been used widely in Western maps.

For example, a Portuguese Manuel Goding-You made a map of Asia in 1615, and illustrated the sea between the Korean Peninsula and Japan as "Mar Coria," meaning "Sea of Korea."

Furthermore, in a map created by Robert Dudley in 1646, the term "MARE DI CORAI" (Sea of Korea) is written.

1646 Robert Dudley Çѱ¹ÇØ Ç¥±â.jpg

In addition, John Senex, a well-known cartographer of the UK, created a map of Asia in 1710. The map describes the so-called "Sea of Japan" as "The Eastern or Corea Sea."

1710³â John Senex ¾Æ½Ã¾Æ Áöµµ - Çѱ¹ÇØ Ç¥±â.png

Also, Herman Mall, a German, wrote the term "Sea of Corea" in his map called "The Empire of China and the Island Nation Japan," which was made in the 1720s.

More maps described the sea on the west side of the Korean Peninsula as the "Sea of Korea" or similar expressions, like the map of Japan by Didier Robert de Bogondi, and a map named "The Empire of Japan divided into seven principal parts and subdivided into sixty-six kingdoms" that was created in the UK.

Even several maps that were made in Japan, including a world map created in 1810 and the map "National Tax Chart of Japan" created in 1866, illustrated the sea as the "Sea of Joseon".

It was when Japan and its imperialism became strong enough to conquer other countries like Korea that the term "Sea of Japan" started to spread.

So, correcting the term "Sea of Japan" is not also a matter of not confusing the public but also cleaning up the vestiges of Japanese imperialism.

°á·Ð

Therefore, I strongly request you to write both "Sea of Korea" and "Sea of Japan" as the location of Dokdo, or just "Sea of Korea."

Thank you for reading my mail, and I look forward to a change.

Yours Truly,

Lucy Jung, a member of VANK, the Cyber Diplomatic Organization in Korea, and the Dokdo Student Reporter

¼­ÇѼö½Åó  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Á¦¸ñ  [º¹»çÇϱâ]
Ä£¼±¼­Çѳ»¿ë  [º¹»çÇϱâ]